This drawing shows how the cottage sits in the landscape and its position in relation to the centre of the village, the church, the old school and the steam railway. It is sited on a spur of land above a classic meander in the Murk Esk river, which is about 40 feet below the cottage.
This is the original plan drawn up for the cottage in 1859 when the school was still just a single room building. It shows the relation of the cottage to the river quite clearly.
The 'house' was for the school's head teacher. The cottage wasn't built until the 1870s by which time an extension had been added to the school. It continued to be used as the head teacher's residence until the 1960s.
The Murk Esk below the cottage - searching for fossils!